Cromwell Youth Trust (CYT) is an established youth service located in the heart of Cromwell, Central Otago. CYT support and advocate for young people attending Years 7-13 (aged 10/11 – 18 years old) and run a variety of services and programmes – including a drop-in youth centre, holiday programmes, youth development programmes, mentoring and more.
CYT, in collaboration with Oranga Tamariki, has an exciting role available for a qualified and experienced Counsellor who will have a direct focus on supporting the wellbeing of tamariki (children) and rangatahi (youth) throughout Cromwell and surrounding areas.
This is currently a PERMANENT role with up to 40 hours per week.
CYTs Youth Counsellor will be providing our young people and their whanau (family) the following services that offer positive outcomes. These include:
- Conducting counseling sessions in group or individual settings to help young people cope with problems related to whanau and family issues, abusive histories, drug and alcohol abuse, and other youth related issues.
- Offer additional support to whanau and family members by facilitating therapeutic talking sessions or scheduling visitations during appropriate time so that families may also learn alternative strategies relating to their young people.
- Assist other Youth Workers in developing an appropriate plan of success for each individual young person on the caseload.
- Monitor a young person’s progress during each session by employing evaluations, gathering documentation and assessing and working towards specific goals.
- Demonstrate model behavior, appropriate communication skills and positive feedback so young people can make progress with positive behavior interventions.
- Ensure safety of young people by following all proper regulations, safety recommendations and procedures each day.
- Record information and document incidents as they occur to help keep track of problem behaviors or unsafe conditions.
- Act as a resource to individual young people when they need guidance or advice about specific life situations or social issues.
- Empower whanau to support their young people (rangitahi) by sharing communication strategies, and where appropriate supporting whanau to attend workshops.
Skills & Experience:
- CYT welcome applications from new graduates to experienced Counsellors who may have experience including Occupational Therapy, Social Work or Counselling
- CYT require a minimum relevant Level 4 NZQA certificate
- Has passion, energy and who is positive, organised, able to use initiative and adaptable to continued change
- Experience working with vulnerable youth
- A good understanding of mental wellbeing
- Has exceptional communication skills and engages with others, especially young people, naturally
- Has sound judgement, discretion and maintains appropriate boundaries with young people
- Is passionate about positive youth development and supporting our young people daily
- Can legally work in New Zealand
- Holds a current First Aid Certification
- Holds a full and clean New Zealand Driver’s License
In exchange we offer:
- Support for professional development
- Working within a modernised and creative space
- Awesome co-workers and a collaborative team environment
- Amazing opportunities to be involved in and develop a wide range of youth programmes
Email your RESUME and COVER LETTER to Manager Rhys Smith via email@example.com
Applications will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.